Friday, October 29, 2010

Trick or Treating with Tiddly Inks & Simply Betty Stamps

Tiddly Inks has teamed up with Simply Betty Stamps for a spooktacular blog hop! Get all the details here and join the hop to win some fabulous prizes!

There's a small twist to the hop to share a "trick"--a favorite technique that you used on the card--or a "treat" which is simply sharing a project.

I chose "Rio", a digital stamp from Simply Betty who will be retired as a digi this Halloween (how appropriate!) and turned into rubber. I've always admired her super cool spider web skirt!

I colored her hair and face, and when I got to her lips, the color bled outside of the lines! With Copics, reds are the hardest to remove with the colorless blender. I thought I'd give it a shot, but the more I tried, the worse things got. Rio looked as if she'd eaten some strawberry jam and smeared her mouth!
She was already trimmed out--which took me forever!-- and it seemed like a waste to toss her just because of her mouth. So I decided to do a face transplant.


I colored another face, being extra careful to color in her lips without smearing, and trimmed it out. Then I adhered it over the original image and managed to salvage Rio and use her on my card.



Here's my finished card with Rio's surgically repaired face.

I found some patterned paper from My Mind's Eye with a spidery background that was perfect with Rio.

I also used Tim Holtz's new embossing folder and tied some seam binding that I dyed with Spiced Marmalade + Rusty Hinge distress inks.




Thanks for visiting today! Hope you all have a safe and Happy Halloween!

Stamps: Simply Betty "Rio" digital image
Cardstock: Papertrey Ink, Basic Grey
Paper: My Mind's Eye
Ink: Memento; Peeled Paint, Spiced Marmalade, Rusty Hinge distress inks
Other: Copics, Nestabilities, Sizzix, seam binding, gems, pop dots

36 comments:

  1. Aw... Donna, I think even with her surgically mask face, she looks absolutely fabulous! Great coloring as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW... gorgeous goodness, Donna!! She looks absolutely fantabulous(fantastic and fabulous), love it!! :)

    Sorry for the late response lately, I'm just not myself lately! Have a BOOtiful weekend! :) Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! That is goooorgeous!! Your colouring is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Donna, must remeber that trick! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome! I love you how surgically fixed her face! Beautiful card!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you gave her a "face lift" what a great idea. You always come up with some amazing ideas xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you are so clever. LOL
    Not just for the face lift, but for the all around fantastic card. :) I love the colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How appropriate that you had to go Dr. Frankenstein on Rio for your Halloween card! Though you're a much better surgeon than Frankenstein, Rio looks fabulous! Love your background paper, it's perfect...your whole card is perfect Donna, I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card!!! Great coloring.

    xx

    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your card is great! I hate trying to fix the reds!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, she's adorable! Donna you are a true perfectionist - I'd NEVER have noticed her smudged lips and even after you mentioned them, I didn't think they were that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Donna, I love this card, wonderful layout and gorgeous coloring! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous image, Donna! Wonderful coloring and I love her spider web skirt! Nice fix, but didn't think it was bad at all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it awsome coloring and I love the face transplant perfect for this hop, lol.
    ~Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  15. awesome Donna! who would have thought that you would have transplanted her face...so clever! need to remember that when I mess up...which is a lot! love her big eyes and cute dress. this card turned out really sweet! hope you have a spooktacular Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL! you are a paper surgeon for paper images! You should be rich shortly! Love your card and great idea to fix up the image as the face is the smallest part of the image to re-work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh such a good idea - I totally smudged the face of one of mine too - now i know how to fix it!! Beautiful card to Donna!!!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  18. you are a superb surgeon, Donna! she is colored so perfectly! gorgeous card. love the embossed background and pp. just adore everything about this card, girl! fabulous!! i'll have to grab her before she retires! =) Happy Halloween! =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. well Donna... you are the best - great recovery of your card. She is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  20. He he so fun Donna - love the little spider girl!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great idea Donna, I think I have to do that with a couple of my boo boos. She's gorgeous!

    Arabella

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's a fantastic card Donna, I love that cool background. What a great idea to transplant the face. Happy Halloween x

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is gorgeous and HURRAH for fixable mistakes, you did a great job with the paper surgery :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. gorgeous card donna, love the way ou did her face!! hugs Lou xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow..so Gorgeous,Donna!
    It's awesome! to make face transplant :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous Donna! (How great that not only are we both Donna's, but both Donna M's!) Fab tip there. I ony wish it were so easy... xxD

    ReplyDelete
  27. AMAZING rescue for her smeared-lips! Wish I coiuld do this kind of transplant on my own face (LOL)!! Incredible coloring, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very clever, the way you saved this cutie. That was a great idea, Donna, and I'm going to save this tip to my bag of tricks. Adorable card!!!
    Hugs, Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, that is ONE super cute Halloween card, I'm very particular about Halloween cards, but this one, I really like Donna! Isn't it great how we figure out ways to fix our little mishaps...but I wouldn't have minded at all a little smudge.

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG, not only do you do head transplants but now faces????!!! you are a truly talented surgeon! (and her lips looked perfect to begin with!)

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW! Gorgeous coloring and she looks amazing! Love the embossed background...awesome card! Have a safe Halloween! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Donna, the card is darling! Noone would have even noticed the "jam" on her lips if you haven't said anything!
    Hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my gosh Donna. Isn't this card super fun! Thanks for sharing. New holiday cards on my blog! www.thestudio56.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Donna...don't we all wish surgical procedures were that painless! Love how you turned a boo-boo into something totally BOO-tiful!
    bless you...

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am loving this card, Donna! Also, love the face "lift"...LOL! I didn't even notice until you pointed it out ;D But, what a clever fix!

    ReplyDelete